In the service of your fellow beings

Although too often, I choose not to do this, I am never happier than when I am doing what I can to help someone else in need. It's no wonder this is the case, given there's a scripture that says, "When ye are in the service of your fellow beings, ye are only in the service of your God."  

On Sundays, it is very difficult for Samuel to sit in Sunday school.  Being neurodivergent, he learns in a different way and at a different pace than other children his age, especially on days where he is having a higher volume of seizures.  Because of this, we have developed our own way of teaching him during Sunday school.  I take him through the halls and show him all the paintings of Jesus and describe what is happening in the painting.  The repetitive simplicity of this really appeals to him and he's always excited to find all the paintings of Jesus throughout the building.

A couple Sundays ago, we wandered into the church's library, where a volunteer couple stood, ready to help anyone find the materials they need for their classes.  When we came in, I said "Maybe there are some pictures of Jesus in here we can find."  The librarians immediately asked Samuel if he would like to see some pictures of Jesus, and began rummaging through their photo library, pulling out any pictures they could find that depicted the Savior.  It was impromptu, but the librarians were very kind and patient as they showed Samuel these pictures.

Today, when Sunday school began, I took Samuel to the library, where I discovered that these volunteer librarians had devised a plan to make this visit even more meaningful than last time.  They had catalogued all the pictures that had an event with Jesus in it, and were prepared to have Samuel help them find those pictures.  They brought a treat for Samuel, and were patiently having him pull the pictures off the shelf.  They would talk to him about what Jesus was doing in the picture, then show Samuel where it goes, and have him slide it back in place.

It is very easy to see when Samuel is excited.  Today, while we were in that library, I got to see him jumping up and down and flapping his hands in delight as he got to repeat the process of pulling out a picture, analyzing it real quick, then putting it back, over and over.  It was a perfect Sunday school lesson for my son.

While it was incredibly meaningful to watch how excited and happy this made my son, I was struck by something else that was even more meaningful.  I got to see this wonderful couple serve one of their fellow beings.  I got to see the light in their eyes as they found joy in making Sunday meaningful for a little boy.  Today, this couple was in the service of their God.

When Jesus was on the Earth, he met a man who was born blind.  His disciples asked Jesus, what person had sinned to cause this infirmity.  Jesus responded, saying no one sinned, but this man was born blind "that the works of God may be made manifest in him."  

My Samuel was born with an infirmity as well.  Today, I got to see the works of God made manifest in my son.  Had he not been born with this infirmity, this sweet couple would not have had an opportunity to serve him.  They wouldn't have felt the joy they felt today, and wouldn't have been able to see a little boy jump up and down and flap his hands in delight over getting to see a picture of Jesus.

I am thankful every day for my son's epilepsy and autism.  Although watching my son endure these challenges has caused me more grief than anything I've ever experienced, it has also given me many sacred opportunities to see the works of god made manifest in a sweet little boy, who flaps his hands in delight as those around him seek to serve their God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samuel's Ministry on Earth

Having Samuel for One More Day